What is ISO/IEC 27701?
ISO/IEC 27701, published in August 2019, represents the inaugural international standard addressing the management of privacy information. This standard is designed to aid organizations in the establishment, maintenance, and continual enhancement of a Privacy Information Management System (PIMS). ISO/IEC 27701 builds upon the existing Information Security Management System (ISMS), as defined by ISO/IEC 27001, and incorporates guidance from ISO/IEC 27002. It is applicable to organizations of all types, regardless of their size, complexity, or global presence.
Why is ISO/IEC 27701 Important?
The exponential increase in the collection and processing of personal information has given rise to significant privacy concerns. As a result, implementing a Privacy Information Management System (PIMS) in compliance with ISO/IEC 27701 requirements and guidance is essential for organizations. This facilitates the assessment, treatment, and reduction of risks associated with the collection, maintenance, and processing of personal information.
This standard holds paramount importance for any organization responsible for Personally Identifiable Information (PII). It provides a framework for managing and processing data while ensuring the protection of privacy. ISO/IEC 27701 enhances existing ISMS practices to comprehensively address privacy concerns. It guides organizations in understanding the practical steps necessary for the effective management of PII.
Benefits of ISO/IEC 27701
By gaining an understanding of the ISO/IEC 27701 standard, individuals can:
- Comprehend the implementation process of the Privacy Information Management System.
- Acquire the skills needed to support organizations in implementing a Privacy Information Management System in compliance with ISO/IEC 27701.
- Contribute to the ongoing improvement of the Privacy Information Management System within organizations.
- Safeguard the organization’s reputation.
- Foster customer trust.
- Enhance customer satisfaction.
- Increase transparency in the organization’s processes and procedures.
- Uphold the integrity of information pertaining to customers and other stakeholders.